Work In Progress 3-22-17

IMG_6633

This is my latest kitbash project.  It’s a Corvette C6 TransAm/SCCA GT1 car.   This is an easy conversion from a Scalextric Corvette C6R.  Here’s a photo of what I started with:

01433280-1

Of course, the actual car was not a new one like this but one that was looking very secondhand, having led a hard life as a rental car on a local track open to the public.  Such cars, as long as they are reasonably intact, make great raw material for kitbashes.  In the case of the Scalextric C6R it doesn’t take much to make a GT1 car out of it.  The biggest change was gluing strips of sheet styrene into the edges of the wheel openings to decrease their size.  The GT1 wheels and tires, which are from a Scalextric Michael Lewis TransAm Jaguar, are smaller in diameter than the C6R wheels and reducing the size of the wheel openings snugs them in around the tires, helping give the car its charateristic GT1 aggressive look.

The most noticeable change, however, was the addition of the hood hump, formed from sheet styrene, CA glued in place, and blended in with auto body spot putty.  You can also see that I made one large front radiator opening from 5 smaller ones, as is typical on GT1 Corvettes.

IMG_6634

At the rear I’ve removed the diffuser and trimmed back the chassis to the lower edge of the body.  I also filled in the opening at the rear of the body with sheet styrene.

The two round appendages sticking up from the rear deck are my solution to keeping a wing on the car once it encounters the hard knocks of competition.  Most 1/32 scale RTR cars with wings use a mounting consisting of tabs on the ends of the wing struts press-fitted into slots in the body.  Sooner or later the wing breaks, usually right at the surface of the body, leaving a broken tab that’s almost impossible to remove neatly from the slot.  If you want to change to a different wing with different strut spacing it’s really a chore to make new slots neatly and cleanly.

My solution on this particular car starts with using a wing from an NSR C6R.  It is made of a more resilient and crashworthy material than the car’s original wing and has relatively small mounting tabs on the strut ends.  I found the diameter of styrene tubing the tabs will press-fit into and drilled two holes in the body, the same diameter as the OD of the tubing and spaced the required distance apart.  I then CA glued lengths of the tubing into the holes. When I am ready to put the wing on the car I will simply press the tabs on the wing into the tubing.  Holes are much easier  to drill than slots are to cut and if (or perhaps when) the wing breaks I can simply use a piece of piano wire to push out the broken-off tabs and then press in a new wing.  The tubes don’t look as “realistic” as one might like but they are a lot more convenient and nobody will notice them when the car is on the track

IMG_6635

Here’s a decal sheet I made on my computer and printed out on waterslide decal paper using an HP 8610 inkjet printer.  In the next blog post on this project you’ll see the car with decals from this sheet and others from my decal box in place. I’ll give you more information then about how I made these decals.

Your comments and questions are welcome.  Post them here on the blog page or send them to bob@victorylaphobbies.com.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s