Work In Progress April 7, 2017

Corvette C6 GT1 car

IMG_6714

The decals are now all on the car.  Every decal except the numbers is one I made on my computer and printed on an HP inkjet printer.  This shot shows the NSR Corvette C6R wing I’m using with a big Budget decal in place.  The wing is pressed only a small part of the way down into its mounts, just enough to hold it in place for the photo.  When the car is completed the wing will sit quite a bit lower.

IMG_6716

Here’s a shot from a different angle. For many modelers one of the deterrents to modeling present-day race cars is the lack of commercially available decal sheets with logos for contemporary sponsors, both major and contingency, in 1/32 scale.  Decals for Optima Batteries, Tilton Clutches, and VP Racing Fuels, to name just a few, along with current sanctioning body and race series decals, are very hard if not impossible to find.  The decal manufactures just don’t keep up.   At the same time, nobody seems to be making sheets of logos for companies that logically might be primary or secondary sponsors.  Those that can be found are all sheets for specific cars, mostly NASCAR.  You can end up buying multiple sheets and taking only one or very few elements from each just to get what you need to do one car livery, either real or fantasy.  You can’t buy a sheet of just car rental or computer or beer logos, each with several companies,  from which to get primary sponsors for your cars.

IMG_6717

That’s where printing your own comes in.  And it’s not as hard as you think.  I won’t write a how-to here.  There are already lots of good ones available online.  Just search under Decal Making and you’ll find them.  The key point is that it’s easy to learn and after you’ve done it a few times you will be amazed at the results you can get.

 

Supra GT1 car

IMG_6739

I now have the chassis surgery completed and the chassis has been successfully mated to the body.  The big challenge was getting the rear end of the original Supra chassis grafted solidly onto the Jaguar chassis.  This was the starting point…

supra-chassis-1

And here’s where it is now…

IMG_6741

The white areas are pieces of sheet and strip styrene glued in for reinforcement.  I did the gluing with a combination of CA and Gorilla Glue.  After some work to make everything look neater I’ll paint the whole chassis satin black.  Here’s a bottom shot of the chassis and body together:

IMG_6740

It was a pleasant surprise to find that the sides of the Jag chassis, with just a bit of work with an emery board, are a near-perfect fit for the Supra body.  As in the top shot you can see where I added styrene reinforcing to make the glue joints extra-solid.

The next step is to install all the mechanicals in the chassis and do some track testing.  Once any necessary modifications for performance are completed it will be on to bodywork, paint, detailing, and final assembly.

Your questions and comments are welcome.  You can post them below or e-mail them to bob@victorylaphobbies.com.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s