Work In Progress 7-7-17

IMG_9506

It’s finished!

I finally got the Corvette C6 GT1/TransAm car completed.  You’ll recall that his is a conversion of the Scalextric Corvette C6R.

IMG_9507

This isn’t really a perfect GT1 conversion. That would involve much more body and detail work, most of which would not be evident to any but the most expert observer.  I do think, however, that his car does a good job of capturing the aggressive character of a GT1 Corvette.  It looks the part quite well and wasn’t really all that hard to do.  The chassis remains unchanged except for trimming off the rear diffuser and adding a deeper airdam at the front.  It doesn’t look like it in the photos but the airdam does clear the track.

IMG_9511

The wider but smaller-diameter wheels and tires, from a Scalextric TransAm Jaguar, fit under the body without the fenders having to be widened.  The wheel arches were reduced in size by adding sheet styrene, snugging them in nicely around the tires. Performance upgrades include a Professor Motor guide and magnet, a 21.5k Piranha motor and silicone tires.  The Piranha is really just for testing.  It will eventually be replaced with a motor delivering around 30,000 rpm.  1:1 scale TransAm cars typically run NASCAR 358 engines that crank out around 850 horsepower, and I want my 1/32 scale version to have power to match.

IMG_9509

Added details such as the hood hump. made of sheet styrene, and the rear wing, an NSR part that looks more like the GT1-spec wing than the original C6R wing does, help complete the GT1 bad boy look.  The car retains the C6R interior and windows, though I cut out the driver’s side window and added a window net CA glued to the roll cage.  A more complete kitbash would involve scratchbuilding a different interior and roll cage, but for my purposes the original looks more than good enough on the track.

IMG_9510

All the graphics, with the exception of the numbers (from an Ultracal peel-and-stick sheet), and the logos tampo-printed on the window assembly, are waterslide decals I made in Photoshop and printed on an HP inkjet printer using Bare Metal decal paper.  The paint is from Krylon spray cans purchased at Walmart.  You can get big cans of Krylon there for around $4.00 each and the selection of colors is quite extensive.

Like most of my kitbashes I made no attempt with this one to create a museum-quality model exact in every dimension, contour, and detail.  My goal with these projects is to turn out a car that captures the character and overall look of the type of car I’m building and looks good on the track, all without putting so much time and effort into it that I wouldn’t put it on the track and race it if the opportunity came along.  The rivet counter will find endless nits to pick but I don’t think anybody will have trouble figuring out what kind of car it’s supposed to be.  And that’s good enough for me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s